Monday, April 24, 2006

SANDEEP INTERVIEW


Sandeep takes home a crore


After weeks of speculation, prejudiced campaigning and vaulting the high note, Indian Idol 2 has claimed its name � Sandeep Acharya. Kunal M Shah gets the new Idol to talk about his title


How does it feel to win Indian Idol 2 � one of television's most coveted titles?
The day has started on a very positive note. I am getting a lot of positive feedback. The fact that I am now the Indian Idol is yet to sink in. In my dreams I kept seeing myself become the Indian Idol. I can't tell you how happy and satisfied I feel.


Everybody rooted for Karunya, and you were given a secondary verdict. How did it feel to defeat the most popular contestant?
It was very satisfying, especially because competition was so tough. I have sung very well and right from the gala rounds, my performance kept getting better day by day. I got some very good feedback from my audiences and the votes started increasing. Karunya is a great singer and to beat him was no mean feat. I was never tense about the hype surrounding him... I didn't feel like he was everybody's favourite and I was the underdog. I knew exactly what I had to do. I devised ways to improve my performance and tried to ignore the hype around him. I think I pulled it off well. Anyway, whatever happens happens for the best.


What would you like to say to the people of your hometown Rajasthan, who dropped in the maximum number of votes for you?
I am extremely thankful to them. They were a great support. I don't know how to thank them but all I want to say is that I will try and always keep them happy through my work and not disappoint them.


Now that you have won Rs. 1 crore, what do you plan to do with the money?
To be very frank, I have not planned anything so far. But I can definitely say that I will use it to do some good work. A large amount of the prize money will be used to good effect.


You surprised everyone by singing the song �Enna meena deeka� before the finals�
It was very satisfying, as it was completely different from the kind of songs I had sung before. The song was also so unlike my own personality and by singing it, I had tremendous confidence for the finals. I enjoyed singing it too, and the audience and judges appreciated it very much.


What was that one thing that gave you an edge over Karunya in the finals?
If I have to choose just one thing � it has to be my voice. My voice supported me throughout and I think at the end of the day, it was what made me the Indian Idol.


People have compared your voice to Udit Narayan's�
I consider myself lucky to be compared to someone like him who is a talent house. Everyone has their own idols, and Uditji is mine. I will always try and do justice to him; the kind of response he has given me is heart-warming.


Who was your favourite contestant?
I can't pin-point just one� but yes, Kartunya was definitely the
toughest. I also think that Amey Date was on par with him. The only difference between Amey and Karunya was the number of votes each received. But I think Amey would have been as tough a challenge as Karunya.


Your mother was very emotional when you won the contest�
Yes, my mummy was very happy. It was one of my favourite moments and I can never forget it. The love, the faith and confidence she had for me during the finals was unbelievable. I also want to thank my guruji, Ratnadeep Hemraj, and Rajendra Changani for their blessings without which I would not be talking to you today.


Finally, how did you feel when Sonu Nigam imitated you?
It was a lot of fun, embarrassing but fun. I think he was creating an identity for me. Now that I have become the Idol, I will start working on my album within the next two days and I plan to put everything I have into making it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Watch Indian Idol 5 Latest Videos

Enter your E-mail address :-

Delivered by FeedBurner

Followers