Monday, July 03, 2006

SONU NIGAM




As a singer, do you include personal emotions in your songs?

It's a very difficult question to reply. If I want, I can give you a dramatic answer, but frankly speaking, when music directors sign me they know that I am not just a singer, I do give my personal inputs to the tracks I sing. Lately, I have become very choosy about my songs. Initially I thought that it would go against me. I am glad that despite Himesh Reshammiya singing so many songs, my tracks from Fanaa and Kabhi Alvida Naa Kehna have been appreciated. Over the years I have learnt that everyone teaches you something. I tried to copy Himesh in Phir Hera Pheri ('Dil Vij Lagiya Re') and people got confused, they thought it was Himesh singing. But by simply copying him, my range as a singer has increased. I get inspired by everyone, from Ustad Bade Gulam Ali to Adnan Sani.


But wouldn't you lose your originality in the process?

I think the concept of originality is clichéd. If Amitji had only stuck to acting in films like Anand, he would have never become the icon he is today. An artist needs to be versatile, and only then can he survive in this industry. If you've watched any of the singing competitions on television, you'll notice that most of the contestants are singing my tracks. They love me and I appreciate the fact that they look up to me. So I work harder to live up to their expectation.


Will you be part of Indian Idol 3?

I was not interested in Indian Idol 2. It was my friend Tarun Katiyal from Sony TV who dragged me to the show. Now that Tarun has quit Sony, I don't know if I will be doing the show or not. I don't have any qualms with television, as I was the first playback singer to host a TV show in 1995. I will work on a television show if it excites me.


You are finally coming up with your classical music album.

Yes. This is like a dream come true for me. This will be a pure, classical music album for those who value and patronise this kind of music. But you can't classify the album as hard-core classical. We are working on different sounds and combination of instruments; I am sure people will appreciate our sincere effort.

Much has been written about your relationship with your wife Madhurima. It has been speculated that your marriage is over and she is staying separately with her parents. But you have always refrained from commenting on this issue. Why?

I don't think that anybody has the right to know about my personal life, unless I decide to share the information with others. Actually, life is cool and fine with me. I am at peace, and the kind of good work I am doing can only be possible when I am at peace with myself and there is peace in my family. I don't like to include my family and Madhurima in my interviews or in professional matters. They are very special to me and I would like to keep my affairs with them private.

But was there trouble in paradise?

As an artist and singer I am very selfish and let nothing affect me. But let my work speak for me…if you see the kind of work I am doing, you'll understand that I am in harmony with my life; I am well and there is no trouble.

With marital problems afflicting almost every other musician in the playback business, it seems like you have managed to maintain harmony.

It's by the grace of God. I keep myself away from unwanted controversies. I will never get caught with an unlicensed gun, or kissing someone in public. I don't subscribe to such cheap gimmickry.

You were linked with Sunidhi Chauhan...

I have stopped reacting to such link-ups. I don't want to talk about all these rumours as I really don't care. Sunidhi is a very good friend, just like every colleague of mine. It's about compatibility and if you want to know about my friends, I will talk a lot about my friendship with Lataji.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Watch Indian Idol 5 Latest Videos

Enter your E-mail address :-

Delivered by FeedBurner

Followers